Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hypocrites part 2

via EFF
Actually, with politicians it could be about part x (x being a number that is so large I couldn't actually write it out in my lifetime) with no end in sight. House Minority Leader John A. Boehner just won a big case against Rep. Jim McDermott for an illegal wiretap. Of course, Boehner is also big on letting the telecommunications companies off the hook for all of their illegal wiretapping. Wiretap everyone else, just not me. 

Now, as I posted before, this blatant hypocrisy doesn't make hi argument for the telecom immunity wrong (though I agree it makes him a jerk). What makes his argument wrong is because we don't want the precedent set that when someone in the government (specifically any branch that isn't the judicial) tells a company or an individual to do something that is known to be illegal that the person or company feels like they can't tell them to politely piss off. 

The Rational Moderate

No comments: